Wednesday 31 October 2012

Time: More or Less? Fast of Slow?

Riding up to the Sun - Jakarta Sept 2012
Photo by Helena


Concept of Time is so relative and flexible that it bends and curves according to our mental and psychological state. The clock itself tick-tack-tick-ing in the same rhythms and the same measured distance. Well, of course we did turn back the clock for 1 hour last Sunday to mark the end of British Summer time (day light saving) and hopped back to GMT. It is still a bizarre concept for someone who came from the Equator.
This week we are entering Week 7 of our Autumn term dates. it means that in this 12 weeks course, we have 5 weeks to go before final term essay bound our hands and legs to Library and chained our hands, brains and senses to books and computers... oh well... it's a metaphoric exaggeration of course. Nevertheless, time has fly by, up to now, I still feel enormous lacking of understanding in key terms and ideas of subjects that I am taking this term. Feels like 24 hours is not enough to balance study, rest, entertainment, everyday life and homesick. Last week, I as pulling my bedroom curtains to close when I realized that it felt like I have just open the curtains to let the sunshine in a moment ago. How fast time went by from the opening to the closing of my bedroom curtain. It is not about the the darkness that fall early in this Autumnal weather but indeed... my brain cannot work as fast as I assumed it can.... poor brain..

On the other hand, time decided to almost stand still when I am missing my husband and daughter and awaiting for their arrival in December. It almost felt like eternity to realized that I simply just left home 2 months ago. In this 2 months my beautiful little girl, has develop an ability to form a complete sentence, a skill to use intonation, wh- words and cheeky banter. How I am so jealous! I longed to be part of that historic moment. The excruciating part of my everyday is bedtime. This last 1 week, I developed an insomnia. Unable to sleep because I miss her so much. I find myself tak about my husband many times (note to self... reduce that!) to my friends... "O my husband will like that'... "O he can do this/that with it"... "O Simon is a great DJ and Dancer"... etc etc etc etc... my beloved friends here I am sure been fed up but they are so sweet to just go along with me.

I re-discover that understanding that TIME is God's gift. Its flexibility enables us to see life in a different light: an opportunity to appreciate little things in life, an opportunity to reflect and to do better than the day before and a strengthening of faith that God is with you every millisecond of your life.

In the bible of Jeremiah 10:23 says ..
23 Lord, I know that people’s lives are not their own;
    it is not for them to direct their steps.
and on I Samuel 20: 3  
But David took an oath and said, “Your father knows very well that I have found favor in your eyes, and he has said to himself, ‘Jonathan must not know this or he will be grieved.’ Yet as surely as the Lord lives and as you live, there is only a step between me and death.

Be grateful for your blessings of time. Use it wisely and may it blesses others around you. Let me end it with a poem by Amy Darnbrook

TIME
by Amy Darnbrook
 Time goes fast
 Time goes slow
 Time sees people die
 Time sees the grass grow
 Time does not forget
 Time does not forgive
 Time crushes and kills
 Time takes all you have to give
 Time rushes past
 Time ticks and tocks
 Time is shown by the sun
 Time is on the kitchen clock
 Time is going slowly
 Time tells you what must be done
 Time is running out
 Time waits for you to have fun
 Time is impatient
 Time is kind
 Time is cruel
 Time doesn't mind
 Time is a second
 Time is forever
 Time is right this minute
 Time is now or never.-
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...