Friday 9 August 2013

Library

I love spending time at the Library, one because of the books. I love books, their smell, their physical presence that symbolizes rows and rows of rich knowledge ready to devoured. I love the still sound of the Silent study space, where sometimes near lunch time, my rumbling tummy threathened to turn me into a vicious troll whom everyone will cast and evil eyes on.

This morning as I waited for the library computer to boot, I cast my eyes around the social study areas where I have been 'nesting' for the past 3 weeks. Indeed, I see the same face on exactly the same spot. Different clothes and different hairdo.. but the same person, same frown and same dead serious stare on their computer screen. Occasionally, there's a new person who came early and seize someone 'regular' spot. Then that someone will come along, stop for a second few steps from the occupied 'regular' spot... cast a killing look toward the 'regular' spot snatcher then take a deep breath before unwantingly looking for a new spot.

I have several favourite spot in the library. I get bored easily and need suitable spot for different study need. Sussex University Library (Which I am sure similar to other library) has different study areas: Social Study areas, Quiet Study areas and Silent Study area. I am more of a silent study areas person. Silence helps my brain to focus and able to produce productive thoughts. One of my classmates and fellow library 'sitter', claimed that the silent study area drives her crazy. She needs to see people around or at least some movements and sounds. She always picks the social study areas. However, lately I have been using the social study areas simply because they have wide screen so I can see 2 or 3 douments at once. This is beneficial for my cross analizying research findings and comceptual frameworks. However, I do not really like the surrounding. First, too many people walking here and there. Second, people talking (although in a low hushed voice) but that's distracting. Third, nosey people glancing over the sceen I am working... that's highly irritating. Fourth, the ding sound of the elevator and the bam sound of the swing door always drives me mad.

Therefore, by lunch time, I shall look for another spot before I lose my sanity.

Anyway, do you have a favourite Library spot?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...