Thursday 27 June 2013

My hands are too short



For the past few weeks, my daughter had been speaking more and more in English.
With that, comes the added confidence for her to speak to other kids we met on the playground.
Yesterday, I sat on on the sofa of the kids corner in Jubilee Library watching her playing with the Ride-on Snail and Race Cars and her attempt to engage with other kids.
She said to one of the girls, "Can I play with you, please?"
I held my breath and clutched my heart to my chest.
The little girls said 'Yes, What's your name?"
I can breathe....

That very moment I realized...
I can never shelter my precious girl forever
She will one day fly and build her life her own way
I will never always be there to protect or care for her

I can always say she's beautiful, smart and kind
But someone might bully her in the playground or maybe online
Saying hurtful things that are not true about her
I may not always know, see or do something about it

We walk hand in hands and I can always catch her when she tripped and fall
but I may never always be there when life hit her hard.
When roads she chooses are twisted and  bent,
I may not always be there at its every turn to tell her which way to go

And one day, when her heart linger for that special someone,
I may not always be the one she will listen
when her heart is falling deep in the flowery bed
I can't blame her... It's her time


I cannot tell other what to think about my little girl
but I can teach my little girl to respect and love herself

My hands are too short to hold her hand
And I know, the only thing I can do is to pray....
for her protection and comfort
for good friends and lasting friendship
for healthy attitude towards herself
for those times when she needed something or someone to hang on
for to help her stand when she falls
for that special someone who will be her life companion

Know this, my baby girl
My knees are only short distance to the floor
whereas my hands are short, God's hand will keep you safe wherever you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...