Tuesday 1 December 2015

About Hardwork and Success



These past few days I have been led to think about hard work in learning.
I have the privilege of being their lecturer and this week and the coming week we have some speaking projects and presentation. I must admit that I was very surprise at the poor level of English Skills that English Department students have. I was reminded that they are only on their 1st semester. I do believe in the notion that every students have potentials so I convince myself to hold on to the fact that they will improve.

On the other hand, also within this week, I was confronted with some of the most outrageous excuses ever made by students that made me question their seriousness in studying. I have decided to make a list of the excuses and left the person out. I would like to share it for the reason of documentation and for future pondering.

Reasons for when are late and not attending the MID-Term Test
  1. I am not used to wake up early in the morning (The Test was at 8.30 AM)
  2. I am not a morning person.
  3. I have never have to wake up early in the morning
  4. I don't have money to go to campus
  5. I forgot the scheduled time
  6. I don't get the information
  7. I was feeling sick (however, this sts did not contact me before/during test. and instead come few days later)
  8. I have some family problem
Reasons for not submitting assignment on time
  1. The program in my laptop was (magically) erased
  2. My Mozilla won't work
  3. I was caught sick in the middle of my work
  4. I don't have money to rent a computer or to go to internet (although they can submit handwritten work or go to Library)
  5. My file was erased just as I was about to
Reasons for not attending class (without notice or permission)
  1. I was feeling unwell that day
  2. I have family problem
  3. My father hasn't sent me money for transportation (the students was with a high end latest hand phone and full make-up face)
  4. I got my period
  5. I was tired from my other class
  6. I had a fight with my classmates
So... as I am holding tight to the hope that they will improve. The improvement can only happen with my students put on some hard work and really serious with their learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...