Sunday 25 November 2012

6th Meeting: Something missed... something to be reminded of...


I don't think everybody knows that I received scholarship for my MA study. I missed this class meeting because I was in London for the event with the Scholarship. Therefore, I will share a little bit about my chevening adventure

I'm honored to received the prestigious FCO Chevening scholarship for 2012/2013 MA study in Sussex. There are 32 scholars from Indonesia and East Timor this year. They are currently studying in universities all over UK. I chose Sussex University for several reasons.
1. My husband (also a Chevening Scholar-2009/2010) did his MA in International Education and Development at Sussex University. I (we) fell in love with the city and I with the university: the research, the study life, the ambiance. Hence, my return
2. Our Landlords, Jan and Rusty, have become a family for us. we do not feel like renting a flat at their place. It's like living in the ground floor of your own family house. Our baby daughter was also born during our stay in UK. When we left, I made a silent promise. If ever I get an opportunity on a scholarship in UK. I would like to return to Sussex.



The scholarship is very competitive. Application comes from all over Indonesia. I am the only one from my province, Maluku.


Why am I chosen? Well, It is still feel surreal for me. I also feel shy whenever we are in a meeting and someone pointed me as scholar. hehehehe... that comes with all the high expectation... aaannndd... it's scary. The truth is I am someone who is passionate of English, of teaching/education and of working with young people. The scholarship put down the selection criteria for the typical successful applicant as follows
  • is a professional graduate, in early or mid-career, who displays both intellectual ability and clear leadership potential
  • has already worked for 2-3 years in his/her chosen profession
  • is committed to return to his/her home country and contribute to its socioeconomic development, by implementing the new skills and knowledge acquired in the UK
  • has a proven track record of professional excellence and achievement, with the prospect of becoming a leader in his/her chosen field
  • is able to show at interview that he/she possesses the personal qualities to benefit from the scholarship and use it to succeed in his/her chosen career
  • has a clear idea how the scholarship will benefit their country on his/her return




Do I ticked all the boxes? Perhaps. The list seems very prestigious and wow. I believe that I am given a great opportunity based on my work. Being selected to receive the scholarship means that someone sees the potential in me and want to invest in that. Believing that I can make a difference, to make the world a better place. So... here's a bit about me.

My BA is on English Teaching from Local University, University of Pattimura. During my last months to finished my high school (1999) a conflict erupted in my Island, Ambon and then spread to the whole province. It was a sectarian conflict between Muslim and Christian. It is awful and sad because the religion is used as the vehicle. Our province is known for it's social contract, Pela and Gandong, that are practiced from generation to generation from ancestor long before religion came. It is a social contract that ensure our harmonious living despite race, religion and customs. Long story short, the sectarian conflict lasted for 6 years. I was a refugee and live in refugee camp for 3 years. That year saw me entering university for my BA and went to classes in alternatives buildings, while avoiding snipers and road blocks, because our university was burnt down together with my village.

During this 3 year period, I was involved working with peace and reconciliation movements. I was then selected to be trained in Canberra, Australia together with youth from 6 others conflict areas in Asia Pacific, to be the pioneer group and established the Young Ambassadors for Peace (YAP) in Asia Pacific. In Ambon, Maluku, YAP work as the youth counterpart along side other local organization such as Maluku Interfaith Institution, Concerned Woman of Maluku and religious institutions. YAP works with the ex-combatants and conflict effected young people, providing activity on peace building, conflict resolution, reconciliation, trust building and community organizing. I was the country Co-coordinator for 3 years. We hold workshops and group activity with a diverse focus and approaches. One of the activity was the English Groups which was run for sometimes but it provided the young people with a reason to come to the basecamp (set in the border areas). It gives them opportunity to 'learn' English (very useful later) and to bond with friends from the opposite group.

On the other hand, I have been running English Class at home since 1997/1998 and even in refugee camp, we managed to keep this running. This brings income for my family. We (my mother and I) were even contracted to teach English the Navy top rank officer, which we did for 1 year.
Just 2 months before my leave to UK, my English Class has been upgraded to a Language Center. The official name is Marlene's Language Center. It has it's government licensed and recognized by the National Education Department. (We have at the moment 100 students and more to come this coming January). This means that we are eligible to issue certificate for our English Course. However our Language Center also offers customized Dutch and German classes as well. I am super excited with this. Because in the future, I am planning to connect my Language Center with my Youth work. Perhaps, develop a qualification and skill based programs for them so they are ready for the working world. I have ideas already with my Language Center as recognized organization and later my degree in English Language Teaching. God's willing I can put all this opportunity to good use and benefit many people.

To learn more about my work and conflict in my place:
- Uniting World Program / Young Ambassadors for Peace / Ambon, Maluku
- My latest Article at Uniting World on Conflict in Ambon
- Also On Provocateur for Peace
- Other article about the recent conflict
- Say Peace NOW in Ambon
- Musabaqoh Tilawatil Quran in Ambon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helena,
    Wow, I had no idea that you had won such a prestigious scholarship to be here, congratulations! It seems like you really desserve it and I'm sure you'll do real good in your country when you return there.
    Thanks for sending the link to your blog, it makes for interesting reading.
    See you next week,
    Alison :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...