Wednesday 27 August 2014

Teaching 'Little Monsters'


So, I did say somewhere in this virtual world that I will be writing updates on my new teaching level at MLC this Quarter. Well, I recently took charge of the KIDS English class at our Language center, Marlene's Language Center (MLC). One thing that you need to keep in mind, I have come to understand and accept that teaching elementary (primary) School level students is not my strong forte. Seriously! Hats off to Kindergarten Teachers, Pre-school Teachers and Elementary School Teachers. They are the actual hero in Education. Without them, this nation... ANY nation... and Humanity are lost and crumble to pieces...

The English Department of our Language center has a separated KIDS levels and grouping which are separated from the Regular Class (and leveling). KIDS level caters 1st grades to 6th grades Elementary School students. Junior High School will enter through Regular Classes (BASIC, BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE, ADVANCE). Some of these Elementary students that have been with us for a while and have shown amazing growth in skills and knowledge thus are in Regular class despite still being an elementary school students.

Anyway... I found the above picture on the web and it strikes me as such a powerful way to sum up my experience teaching the KIDS class (Well... I taught 3 session of 2 hours each... that will count as experience). It is a different matter if you are just spending time and playing with them. However, if you have a learning goals and 'curricula' to adhere to, and not to mention teaching KIDS is not your strong forte,.... things can get a little frustrated. Some of you reading this might think, "Well, you need to follow their lead", "don't get attached to the lesson plan", "don't be too strict" etc etc etc...
Well good for you if you can do it well! You had it in you and that's a blessing. Here is my story of someone who do not have 'it' (or perhaps hasn't found it) and is trying to figure it out how to balance everything.

I consider the 3 sessions I have with them as a success: for me as a teacher, for them as the students and for my learning plan. For myself: I have little patience for whiny students. I understand and can handle the small one (1st, 2nd and 3rd grades) but I have little tolerance to the bigger kids who whines, acting like a spoilt brat, plain nuisance etc.. or in my local language 'caciwe'. However, after careful examination, I have able to determine the cause of each 'problematic' kids. This prompt the need to separate the class in to smaller group. (Currently we have 12 - 15 KIDS in one diverse level class. I have already arranged new classes). Here's hoping that the smaller group by learning pace is manageable. For the students, all in all I think they enjoy it. As any kids would they eagerly embrace the fun learning activities. (It is I who need to maintain the tempo and make sure the gaps and attention span are balance). Many of them showed up 30 - 45 minutes before time because they can't wait to come to class. I am happy to see this. For my learning plan, I am learning a lot. Indeed teaching young learners English is one of the most challenging yet amazing experience ever.

Kids or young learners have very (I mean VERY) little attention span. so I am working hard to use the 1.5 to 2 hours learning time we have together to be beneficial for their learning.

I am learning too... to adjust expectation, to know how to discipline, to be creative and fun in dealing with the combination of ultra Hyper KIDS, Very silent ones, Lack of motivation ones, trouble makers, etc etc... May God bless this endeavors and granted me strength, wisdom and joy.

DISCLAIMER:
So, before I end this entry I think I need to make a clarification.
Please know that when the title says "Teaching 'Little Monsters'", I have no intention to call my students monsters. Little monsters is written in between singe quotes, signifying the little monster (the scary feeling) in me that I need to tackle. If anything, My little students taught me to conquer my fear, that little monster in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...