Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Past Several Months in a Nutshell



What a year! And what a vacuum!
It has been ….. Months since I last update the entry post. Since then, life goes on as it is. There are ups and downs, good times and bad times. Here are the highlights of the past few months

August 2013

It was the month that saw me working hard to finalize my MA dissertation. Praised God! I have a tremendous support from my husband and daughter, friends across the globe and family prayers.
Endless days and nights perusing the notes that has been painstakingly collected. The days are filled by string of ideas and opinion, trying very hard to make conclusion. Sometimes .. (actually… most of the time) I found myself lost in those wildernesses of grand ideas and the need to stay focus and grounded. For these times, I thank Simon, my husband, for his patience in dealing with my tantrums, pointless whining and ‘thinking’. His logical minds and effective questions during our discussions helped steered my thinking. 


My daughter who is the source of my inspiration has been our most valuable blessing ever. Her innocent question, good nature and impeccable character make our journey smooth and calm. She is our good luck charm… our blessing … the center of our universe. 

September 2013
I finally got it together! MA Dissertation DONE! With all its bad points and good points. The best thing is I got to finished this race with my best friends … or should I say… Sisters.
Then it is time to say good bye to these sisters of mine… Chinese, Filipino, Kuwaiti, Russian, Japanesse, Taiwanesse, British. All went home to their respective country and I know will bring great impact to their community. 
 

 
It was also time for us to say good bye to Brighton – The place we will always hold dear – Tania’s Birthplace (and she still say that she’s a Brightonian), the place where Simon and I earned our degree, the place that bring us to meet Jan and Rusty, Tania’s British Grandparents. There are many memories here. They will never be forgotten.
 

 

 By the end of this month, we've returned back to Ambon. 


October – December   2013
We lived a laid back life. Travelling back and forth between Waai Village (Simon’s Parent’s house) and Passo (my parent’s house), sleeping, cooking, catching up stories etc. 


I went back to teach at my language center, LKP Marlene’s Language Center. It felt great to be able to go back teaching and returning to what I love doing. I was mostly busy with enjoying time with Simon and Tania and our big family. But I was also engulfed in helping to improve the administration, curriculum and organization system of our English Course. During my absence (due to the MA study), my mother and father (who are both language teachers) have been doing their absolute best to keep the Language Center running. However of course due to the lack of instructor, some of the classes with different levels are merged. It was fine. But the impacts are severe. Some of the more advanced students are either bored, agitated or do not put any effort because either way their abilities are above the others. Meanwhile, the slower ones are left behind because we need to somehow tired to balance the pace and content. – Anyways, all is well. 

We also tried out for the PNS (Civil servant) Admission test. We planned to apply to be the lecturer. However, even when we started, we already know that it’s a slim chance for us to pass the 1st administration test. Our MA certificates still need to be ratified by the Indonesian Higher Education Department. The process cost us the time and we were late to submit our documents.
Nevertheless, God is ever so Good and HIS ways can never be understood or forecast by our mere human mind. Few weeks after the announcement of shortlist candidates for PNS (we didn’t make it), we were called by the State Polytechnic in Ambon to help support them in teaching English at Accounting Department. We gladly accept and we are Accounting English Lecturer until now. 

January 2014 – Now (August 2014)
Is business as usual. We are still teaching at our Language Center and at Polytechnic. Tania is growing and developing rapidly. Her Bahasa Indonesia is getting better. However, she still encounters problems to produce replies. Other than that, her understanding is much better. I’m going to write a separate entry about Tania’s language development.
I am still dealing with weight gain. I am now 8 kg lighter than I was 5 months ago. And now I am stuck at this current weight for 2 months now. However, I do not mind at all. I am doing a healthy diet and not the die-hard one. Making sure I watch my portion and what I ate… for this and the next month I think I should add some more exercise routines..
Our Language Center is thriving… with all hands on deck we have enough man power (teachers) to handle the classes. We’re doing improvement and development to our curriculum. Hopefully we can help the student to improve more.
I am going to teach my dreaded level and class… KIDS Class… NOPE! I am NOT very patient with Kids. I consider myself interact better and teach better with junior high school and up kids. But elementary kids… whoa! They required extra-terrestrial strength.
Nevertheless, in the name of conquering your biggest fear and for the development of our Language Center, I am taking on KIDS and BASIC class for this Quarter… Ooo Boy! Will write about it on a separate ELT-ing entry.
Well, that’s it in a nutshell… See you on my next entry folks!
- H -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...