Thursday 28 August 2014

When Our Paths Crossed : That person who changes your life for the better


This morning I read the blog entry of a friend or shall I say a sister. She recently returned from Costa Rica from a Global Institute of Theology (I am very proud of her). She wrote about her brother whom I also know very well in this blog. She talks about him as the greatest big brother and the motivator who is always there for her. In a way, I also consider her brother as a big brother figure for me. One day I also met him and on that fateful day, He was that person who changed my whole life.
I originally already posted some of what I write below on Facebook comment box, however I think it is more fitting for me to make a link post.

---

My life changing encounter with Bung Alto, My friend's brother, is perhaps in 2000 or in 2001 in our local bookstore, Dian Pertiwi. I have known him before through Ambon Tourist Guide activities that my father was involved with (and I tagged along). He always strikes me as a warm and friendly person. So on that day, I was looking for books for one of my University subject. It was during the time of conflict in Ambon. My family and I already evacuated from our village and labeled IDP (Internally Displaced Person) or Pengungsi (refugee). He told me that his office, an International Humanitarian Organization - Mercy Corps, is looking for a translator and it's a part-time job that he is certain that I can do it.

It was a new thing for me. Though professional part time work is not very common for 19 years old young people in my place. I am used to part-time work. I teach/tutored English to KIDS in my neighborhood since I was in 10 grade (SMA kls 1). I am a freelance typist (for many university students around my neighborhood) during thesis and dissertation months. Our family also contracted to handle SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistic) guest house. So all hands on deck for that.

However, being a part timer-out side my house, doing translation and during conflict period where 'Muslim and Christian' are killing each other are something I need to take a long consideration for. I think Bung Alto saw my hesitation. He encouraged me to give it a try or at least come down to the office to have a look and to learn more about the job. He told me if I made up my mind, I should come down to the office this afternoon after lunch.

We went our separate ways. I went for lunch with one of my friend. Then I decided why not. I asked my friend to accompany me there. She was scared because she said the area is at the border, the no man's land' she called it. I once again hesitated. but God is good. Along came another friend of mine, a young man who had a crush of my friend. He said the situation is conducive now and many soldiers are guarding the place. He thought it will be OK for us to go to that office because it is a neutral zone.

The office was located in the basement/parking ground of a Hotel. It is located in so called 'border' or 'neutral' area. After reporting to check points we walked though an alley and then turned to some small streets and entered through the parking lot. It was a simple office with partitions for work quarters. A young woman greeted me. I told her I am here to see Bung Alto (I didn't even know his last name that time). Suddenly a familiar face bobbed from one of the work quarter and that familiar face broke to a reassuring smile. He asked me and my friends to come and sit at the couch and to wait there.

He went in to one of the office door. Then came out and said that I can go in and talk to his bosses.
I went to talk with Anna and Nick, I forgot what they asked me in the beginning but towards the end I began to feel like it's a work interview. The last question Nick asked me was, 'Do you have your CV with you?". I said I didn't have any. Both Nick and Anna then looked a bit confused to why am I here for. I told them about the information from Alto and that I wanted to learn more. I think, Anna went out and talk with Alto then she came in again and said they would like to test me. I said OK.

I went out and Alto was smiling. I think in that situation, I may misunderstood Alto and maybe I do not hear him saying that I actually went in for an interview or perhaps he did it on purpose... I don't know... and it doesn't matter. Hehehe...

They asked a woman called Wendy, I think she's a consultant. She brought out some documents and asked me to translate some paragraphs and to put it in writing. Then she asked me to translate other paragraphs orally. After 30 minutes, she said we are done and asked me to wait at the couch with my friends. They called me back in few minutes later and they said they wanted to contract me as a translator for their program. I said Yes of course. Then they asked another question with left me dumbfounded. "How much do you think you wanted to ask for salary?". I excuse myself to go to Bung Alto. I told him why do they ask that? what should I say? Should I say a number figure? He chuckled and explain to me what it means. So yes... the rest is history...

That is the beginning of my career as Translator and Interpreter (Written and Simultaneously). This took me of amazing journey and adventure both personally and professionally. I tasted the work of Translator and Interpreter in East Timor, Australia, Philippine, Singapore, and around Indonesia. I also met my husband there at that office. He was a new comer for Program Staff.

So you see Vin, my friend and Sister. Be proud of your brother. Be proud of your family. God made each one of us a blessing to others. It is matter of how we respond and act upon it that counts. Your brother has done this with his life (and I am sure you do too). I am sure he has changed many lives he has come across. He sure does changes mine.

Be blessed..-

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...